Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Philippians 4:6

Phil 4:6 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. Quick story as to why...It was a little over a year ago (Jan 2008) that I hit my all-time low. My breaking point. I didn't know what was going on anymore. My emotions were all over the place. I was confused as to what was really going on in my life. Up to that point everything seemed to be going better-than-average in the life of Jonathan Bajalia. No one knew the true pain and stuggles that I was dealing with deep down within. It was about this time that I really started coming to church putting God first in my life. On the days that I really struggled getting over the past, I would meditate on Phil 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. It was like God was always speaking straight to me. For the first time I really heard his voice. This verse brought the peace that I needed in the times of anxiety. I will forever treasure this verse close to my heart for helping me through one of the most difficult times of my life.
In Pastor Andy Stanely's message, he referred to this scripture as a perscription for the anxiety brought on during turbulent times in our lives. He focused on the word "present" as it's true meaning is to reveal, uncover the mysteries to God. Uncertainty surfaces our deepest concerns. It is when we are faced with uncertainty that we begin to realize our true insecurities. You see, it's not about us losing our jobs, or having relationship difficulties that cause anxiety. When we hit rocky times we discover our true insecurities in the situation are that we have not fully put our trust in God over our finances, or that we'll look like a failure if our relationship is not reconciled. Maybe it's the fear of living life alone. Day after day we are able to cover over these deep rooted issues, never wanting to deal with them. Never wanting to allow them to surface and perhaps ask others to pray with us. Deep down inside we are dying. God is instructing us that it is as easy as prayer and presenting our requests to Him.
I hope this message has given you the desire to press into God and ask Him to reveal to you any deep rooted concerns. Have you ever felt like you were in the perfect storm with waves crashing over the bow of the ship. How are you holding up during the recession? Just remember that God still has the whole world in His hands. He's allowing you an opportunity to be changed by Him in the midst of all of the circumstances around you. You will come out tested and true, refined forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment